Afterschool Girls & Youth Programs
Supporting School Success
Equipping Girls and Youth for the Future
Our afterschool programs equip girls and youth to be learners, leaders and creators of change so that they graduate from high school ready for college and careers. YWCA Minneapolis is one of the largest providers of out-of-school-time programs in Minneapolis.
Programming takes place at:
- Minneapolis Public Schools
- Community centers
- YWCA Minneapolis locations
Professional youth workers inspire and challenge over 1,400 young people each year to:
- Achieve academic success
- Develop leadership skills
- Strengthen positive decision-making skills
Our Afterschool Girls & Youth Programs Include:
Our high-quality afterschool and summer programs use culturally responsive, research-based curriculum to meet the needs of youth. Youth-centered programs support youth voice, meaningful choices and active youth engagement, with secure, consistent evaluation of youth progress.
"I'm confident, grateful to be alive, and I'm a girl."- Tigi, Girls Inc. at YWCA Minneapolis, program participant
In 2015 - 2016:
1,411 Minneapolis youth were served with 77% completing their core program.
Numerous program groups operate during the program year offering 40+ contact hours and meeting 1 - 4 times weekly over multiple weeks.
- 63% were female
- 95% were youth of color
- 93% received free or reduced lunch
- 68% were ages 10-14
- 90% demonstrated social/emotion skills in positive peer relationships and 91% in self-management
- 91% expressed/felt a sense of belonging in their program group and also stated they had a trusted adult they could go to for support
- 87% demonstrated connection to learning/school
- 97% intend to graduate high school and 95% intend to pursue post-secondary education
"YWCA allowed me to realize that having a consistent community in my life gave me more confidence and helped me be more successful in school."
- Laura, Girls & Youth participant, University of Minnesota Graduate
Proven High-Quality Youth Programming
Youth Program Quality Assessment (YPQA) Tool
- YWCA Minneapolis uses this tool to assess youth programming
- 63 practices inside this tool guide how staff work with youth
- Used to measure and improve quality in more than 35 states across the U.S.
- We regularly collect and reflect on YPQA data with all staff in the program
- YWCA Minneapolis Girls and Youth Program scores higher than the national average on every quality domain in the tool!
Staff C.O.R.E. (Caring, Open, Reflective, Engaged) Competencies
To provide high-quality youth programming, our staff work from a group of standards and expectations called C.O.R.E. Competencies.
YWCA Minneapolis worked with the University of Minnesota's Youth Work Learning Lab to identify eight necessary qualities for youth development staff.