Ages: Kindergarten – 3rd Grade
Teacher to Student Ratio: 1 to 15
High-Quality Before and After School Care with YWCA Minneapolis
Kindergarten through third-grade children come for before and after school care and all day on school release and vacation days during the school year. Instructional practices in a high-quality, school-age program foster strong relationships and learning among the children.
Our School Age Summer Program includes sports, field trips and challenging activities so the learning doesn't stop when the school year ends.
Children in Before and After School Care Benefit from:
- Connections to caring adults
- Activities to promote reading and writing
- Classroom activities that help children develop their individual interests, talents and skills
- A focus on anti-bias and conflict resolution skills – teaching children to respect the viewpoints of others
- Opportunities to learn with community involvement and service
Safe and Encouraging Environment
School-age children need a safe, interesting afterschool environment where they can develop skills and relationships in a positive manner. We encourage this development with age-appropriate activities that include social, physical, creative and emotional opportunities for growth.
Leadership Skills and Conflict Resolution
Leadership skills and conflict resolution are focuses for this age group. Individual interests are honored. Decisions about classroom materials and the environment are made jointly with the children. School-age children are encouraged to work in teams and share in decision making and problem solving.
Field Trips and Community Interaction
Enrichment activities include field trips and interactions with community people who visit the classroom. The program promotes fun through games, project-based experiences and hands-on, experiential learning.
Learning Goals for School-Age Children
- Service Learning Activities: Connect to the community and to the children in the program
- Self-Regulation: Uses strategies to correct mistakes and understand that everyone makes mistakes
- Knows own strengths and seeks to learn techniques for overcoming weaknesses
- Thinking and Reasoning: Identifies problems and possible solutions; chooses best strategy
- Working with Others: Works cooperatively in a group to finish tasks and solve problems
- Demonstrates respect for others’ rights, feelings and points of view
- Makes contributions and takes turns in group discussions
School-Age Care Pricing at YWCA Minneapolis
School-age care weekly rates per location:
- Full Week: $322.45
- Before and After School Care Only: $132.00
- School Release Day: $67.00
- Full Week: $230.00
- Before and After School Care Only: $135.00
- School Release Day: $69.00