Otters Youth Swim Team
Young athletes learn technique while gaining teamwork and sportsmanship skills.
The YWCA believes kids can enjoy aquatic sports at any skill level with instruction, games and teamwork. Children involved with the Otters Swim Team develop acceptance, respect and community with their fellow athletes in a competitive swimming environment. The Otters coaches are dedicated to the development of Otters as strong individuals both in and out of the pool.
New swimmers or swimmers moving to a more competitive level will find a positive and encouraging atmosphere for enhancing their swimming experience with the YWCA Otters Swim Team. They will:
- be placed in training groups based on age and ability
- improve swimming and endurance by working first on technique work and stroke efficiency
- learn good sportsmanship, nutrition, and mental preparedness
- be offered optional competition in both YWCA trial meets and USA Swimming
- have a flexible practice schedule with three time slots for practices at Uptown and Midtown locations.
Intro to Swim Team
Interested in joining a swim team, but not prepared to dive in? Consider taking our Intro to Swim Team class. The course is designed for swimmers looking to progress beyond the swim lesson experience and into the skills needed for a typical swim team or swim practice group. The 55-minute practice meets weekly and covers stroke improvements, starts and turns, and basic prep work for team participation. Swimmers need to be comfortable swimming 25 yards of each of the four competition strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly). Search for classes.