Endurance Sports Classes
7-Week Triathlon Swim Prep Class
This class focuses on building a foundation for freestyle endurance swimming for triathletes. Swimmers will learn stroke mechanics, drills, and practice methods to train up to an endurance swim of 500 yards or more. Our most experienced Total Immersion coaches provide feedback and encouragement.
Date: Tuesdays, June 12 - July 24
Time: 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Location: YWCA Uptown
Cost: $86.40/members; $104.40/nonmembers
Tri Basics Clinics (FREE!)
This class will give you the foundational knowledge for training and participating in a triathlon. Presenters will describe each component of the race - the swim, bike, run and transitions - and how to successfully train for each.
Each session will include basic tips on how to choose a race, what to wear and nutrition for performance. Veteran athletes of all skill levels will also share their stories of how they started and continue to participate in triathlons.
Tri Basics Clinic Dates:
- Sunday, June 10, 10:30 am - 11:45 am, Lake Nokomis
- Thursday, June 21, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm, Gear West, 1786 Wayzata Blvd, Long Lake, MN 55356 PLUS Gear West shopping night
- Monday, June 25, 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm, Endurance House, 3825 Cedar Grove Pkwy #110, Eagan, MN 5512, Bike ride from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm; Tri Basics Clinic from 7:15 pm - 8:15 pm
- Tuesday, June 26, 6:00 pm - 7:15 pm, Lake Nokomis - This clinic taught by TEAM LC! PLUS FREE VelfoFix bike maintenance clinic to follow 7:15 pm - 8:15 pm
- Thursday, July 26, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm, Gear West, 1786 Wayzata Blvd, Long Lake, MN 55356 PLUS Gear West shopping night
Bike Maintenance Clinic Dates:
- Tuesday, May 29, 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm, YWCA Midtown - Bike inspection with Velofix from 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm; group ride from 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Thursday, July 19, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm, Gear West, 1786 Wayzata Blvd, Long Lake, MN 55356 PLUS Gear West shopping night
T2 Bike to Run: $30
T2 is triathlon's second transition: bike to run. This class is a two-hour workout, preparing your body and mind for the effect of running after biking.
June – July classes will be held outside at Lake Nokomis using your own bike (helmets are required when outside).
- Sun. June 3, 9:00 am - 11:00 am, Lake Nokomis
- Sat. June 30, 9:00 am - 11:00 am, Lake Nokomis
- Sun. July 22, 9:00 am - 11:00 am, Lake Nokomis
- Sat. July 28, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm, Lake Nokomis
This is the class we recommend most highly. It is our most popular summer class; 5 hours of jam packed info that focuses on tricks, tips and skills for completing or improving triathlons including gear, open water skills, transitions practice and bike handling.
The last hour includes a mini-triathlon so you can practice putting it all together. Consider registering for additional mini-tris to keep practicing these skills or implement new ones.
Go into your triathlons knowing what to expect and how to meet your individual goals. Please come prepared with all clothing and gear you will need, including a helmet for the bike portion.
Tri Skills + Mini Tri Dates:
- Sat. June 16, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Mon. & Wed. June 18 & 20, 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm (two day split)
- Sun. June 24, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Mon. & Wed. July 9 & 11, 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm (two day split)
- Sat. July 21, 8:00am - 1:00 pm - PLUS FREE VeloFix bike maintenance clinic to follow 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Mini Tri ONLY: $15
Test how smoothly you can put all the components of a triathlon together - open water swim, T1, Bike, T2, and run. We will provide a roped off transition area with bike racks and the support & guidance of Endurance Sports Coaches.
This is an untimed training opportunity to practice race day skills. The course can vary depending on what your goals are. Swim 200-400 yards. Bike 3 miles. Run .25-1 mile.
For novice triathletes we suggest taking the Tri Skills Workshop first, which includes a mini-tri. Helmets are required to ride your bike.
Mini Tri Dates:
- Sun. June 3, 8:00 am - 9:00 am
- Sun. June 10, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - PLUS FREE VeloFix bike maintenance clinic to follow 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Sat. June 16, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Wed. June 20, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Sun. June 24, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Wed. July 11, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Wed. July 18, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Sat. July 21, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Sat. July 28, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - PLUS FREE Team LC Tri Skills clinic to follow 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Wed. Aug. 1, 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Wed. Aug 1, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Sun. Aug. 5, 12:30 pm - 1:30pm
- Sun. Aug. 5, 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Knowing the bike course is one of the best strategies for beginners and competitive triathletes alike. On an urban bike course such as the YWCA Women's Triathlon bike course, with sections of two-way bike traffic and various turns, knowing the course can give you a particular advantage on the longest portion of the race - the bike! The class will start with quick guidance about gearing and group riding and will point out key features of both the swim and run course as you tour the bike course. All rides start and end at the Lake Nokomis Main Parking Lot. This is a no-drop ride for all abilities and with coaches at the front and back of the pack. HELMENTS ARE REQUIRED TO RIDE!
- Sat. July 7, 8:00 am - 10:00 am - PLUS FREE Gear West flat tire clinic to follow
- Sun. July 15, 8:00 am - 10:00 am - PLUS FREE Gear West flat tire clinic to follow
- Sun. July 29, 8:00 am - 10:00 am - PLUS FREE Gear West flat tire clinic to follow
Learn and practice open water swimming skills such as entering and exiting the water, freestyle efficiency, swimming straight & sighting, body contact, turning around buoys and race strategy.
- Instruction by experienced open water swim coaches.
- All workshops held at Lake Nokomis Main Beach.
- Please remember to bring a bright colored swim cap and a pair of goggles.
- Wetsuits are optional.
- Sat. June 23, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Wed. June 27, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Sat. June 30, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Sun. July 15, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Sun. July 22, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Wed. July 25, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Sun. July 29, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Wed. Aug 8, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Schedule and Purchase Services
View trainer availability and manage appointments for:
- Endurance Sports Coaching
- Massage and Bodywork
- Personal Training
- Private Pilates Training
- Private Swim Instruction