YWCA Downtown Facility Notices
Front Entrance Closing and Adjustments to Fitness Area
Part of the renovation of YWCA Downtown includes ceiling updates in the front entrance and part of the fitness area. This work began on Monday, August 1 and will last 5-6 weeks. The front entrance will be closed except for emergency egress. Our member check-in and membership advisor desks will be temporarily moved closer to the back entrance. We will be moving some of the equipment on the fitness floor during this time:
- Stacked weight machines will be moved to another area on the fitness floor, and
- Some cardio equipment will be moved and temporarily unavailable in order to ensure access to weight machines on the fitness floor.
Downtown Renovation Update
New locker rooms, studio spaces and front entrance are on the way, as well as new program and administrative spaces! We are very excited to renovate and refresh the Downtown YWCA to better serve our members, families and children.
Here's what's coming up:
Locker Room Renovation
- Locker room renovation has started! All Downtown locker rooms will be closed for renovation from May through early September. The locker rooms will be totally redesigned and refreshed.
- Temporary locker rooms are now available. There will be temporary showers and day-use lockers available throughout the renovation.
- Pool renovation has started! The Downtown pool will also be closed for renovation from May through the end of September. Following construction, Downtown facilities staff are also conducting annual maintenance on the pool, regularly scheduled at our facility in August. This includes cutting out and replacing all the outlets and inlets, and cleaning up all of the interior pool tile. We encourage you to use the Uptown and Midtown pools which are open.
Exterior Building Renovation
- Main entrance exterior work. In addition to street and sidewalk work tied to the Nicollet Mall re-vamp, the YWCA will be updating our front facade beginning Monday, May 2. This includes a new canopy over the front entrance and painting of metal roof panels. There will be protected walkways as well as entrance closures as part of this work.
Fitness Floor, Class and Gym Updates
- The Fitness Floor will remain open throughout renovation. Members will have access to all current fitness and weight equipment throughout the renovation. During late summer, there will be minor ceiling work in the fitness area in order to upgrade the above ceiling mechanical units.
- There will be minimal changes to the Group Fitness Class Schedule.
- All studio classes will follow the regular schedule. Evening classes in the gym will remain as scheduled (5:00 pm and later), however daytime classes in the gym will be relocated to the Atrium. Additionally, some Small Group and Group Fitness classes may be held in outdoor spaces.
- YWCA administrative offices will be temporarily housed in a portion of the gym during renovation of upstairs office spaces from May through early September. Non-class activities (basketball/handball/etc.) will not be allowed while temporary offices are located in the gym.
- On Thursday, May 12 the gym will be completely closed in preparation for the YWCA administrative offices to move in.
We will share construction updates with you at the Downtown Front Desk as well as continue to update this facility notice page. Thank you for your support during this exciting time at our downtown location!