Continue the Conversation
How can you break through the barriers that perpetuate systemic racism?
Here are a few steps you can take over the next year to continue the conversation and your racial justice journey.
Within the Week
Seek out stories and opinions from those who are different from you, for example:
- Ta-Nehesi Coates’ books or various articles
- Climbing the White Escalator by Betsy Leondar-Wright
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
Within the Month
Within Three Months
- Have a conversation about race and racism with a friend or family member; practice empathy, and encourage others to do so
- Subscribe to and join: Showing Up for Racial Justice
Within Six Months
- Volunteer for a community organization that is working to eliminate racism.
- Challenge your awareness of how “mainstream” America shows up all around you.
- Who is and is not represented in ads?
- Who is and is not represented as “an expert” on the news?
Within Nine Months
- Reconnect with someone you met from It’s Time to Talk: Forums on Race
- Challenge your awareness of your inner circle.
- Does your inner circle reflect a mosaic of racial and/or cultural backgrounds?
- What are your steps to change your inner circle?
Throughout the Year
- Seek out books written by a racially diverse mix of authors and continue to challenge yourself
- Challenge yourself to ask: who is and is not included in the decision-making meetings, social gatherings and networking opportunities?
- Follow racial justice activists, educators and organizations on social media, for example:
- Angela Davis, Rinku Sen, Tim Wise, Maria Hinojosa
- Teaching Tolerance
Attend It’s Time to Talk: Forums on Race on October 2, 2019
Want to Continue the Conversation at your organization?
Contact YWCA's Inc.lude Diversity and Inclusion Consulting!
We help organizations of all kinds—government, nonprofit and for-profit—transform performance through the power of inclusion. By exploring how to change institutional practices and policies, your organization can connect the power of every person to the potential of your team.
Learn more below, email us or call 612-215-4124.