January Racial Justice Resource Roundup
January 21, 2021
The start of a new year is often a moment when people pause to reflect on the year past, reprioritize what’s important and make goals for the future. Now may be a good time to recommit to your racial justice practice and set an intentional path forward. What will you do to stay committed to racial justice in 2021? What actions will you take? How will you engage in self-care and healing along the way?
Although 2021 may have offered hope for a new beginning, this month so far has brought new challenges as it has continued pre-existing ones for our humanity. It is all the more critical to root ourselves in hope and center racial and gender justice as a priority in our work and lives. We’ve compiled resources on issues we are grappling with — and analysis that has helped us better understand our current moment — as we work for just futures in 2021.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day:
- The U.S. needs a radical revolution of values – Bernice King (Ted Talk)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Was More Radical Than We Remember – Jenn M. Jackson (article)
- Reclaiming the Radical Martin Luther King, Jr. – Center for Political Education (study guide)
- Under the Blacklight: The Intersectional Vulnerabilities that COVID Lays Bare – The African American Policy Forum (multimedia)
- American Women Lost More Than 5 Million Jobs In 2020– Maggie McGrath
- Getting Women Workers the COVID Vaccine Could Pose a Complex Challenge, Experts Warn – Shefali Luthra (article)
- Denial Is the Heartbeat of America – Ibram X. Kendi (article)
- What the History of the Ku Klux Klan Can Teach Us About the Capitol Riot – Anna North in conversation with Linda Gordon (article)
- Out of a Summer of Black Grief, Insisting on Black Joy – Adwoa Gyimah-Brimpong
- Meditation Time Travel to 2050 (for Movement Generation) – adrienne marie brown (meditation)
- The Radical History of Self-Care – Lenora E. Houseworth (article)
If you are looking for additional resources personally and professionally, join us for the next It’s Time to Act!, an upcoming community workshop or learn more about Inc.lude™ Equity and Inclusion Consulting.