Girls Inc. Eureka! Launches STEM Summer Internship Program
The Girls Inc. Eureka! program builds sisterhood with girls from all over the Twin Cities, exploring career interests in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) and preparing them for post-secondary education. As part of the third year of programming, rising 10th graders interned at various organizations throughout the Twin Cities for four weeks, working 20 – 25 hours weekly.
Objectives of the Girls Inc. Eureka! Internship
- To provide girls with hands-on exposure in science, math, technology and other non-traditional fields
- To expose girls to positive adult role models in STEM and other non-traditional fields
- To expose girls to new fields of interest and career options
- To encourage girls to pursue a college education in order to achieve their career goals
Girls Inc. Eureka! 2017 Site Sponsors
- American Fire Protection Group in partnership with APi Group
- Asian Media Access
- Createch Studio in partnership with CTEP
- Pillsbury United Communities, Waite House
- Project for Pride in Living in partnership with CTEP
- Rainbow Research
- Toole Design Group
- University of Minnesota Twin Cities — College of Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resources Sciences
- YWCA Minneapolis
Is an Office Job for Me?
In addition to a sense of independence, the girls gained valuable knowledge about working in a professional office setting.
Many reflected on increased skills in time management and the benefit of exploring career options at the beginning of 10th grade.
Girls Inc. Eureka! offers internships early in high school to ensure that girls consider the high school coursework and grades needed for desired STEM careers.
Girl’s Inc. Eureka! Internship Reflections
“I actually liked getting up early, getting on the bus to come to work and the routine of the work day.”
“The #1 rule in an internship is to ask questions and be confident!”
“The hardest thing about my internship was learning all of the new computer applications including: Excel, Powerpoint, Bridge, Photoshop, Word, Premiere Pro and Camera Raw.”
“This internship helped me experience what it’s like to work before I enter the workforce, which is an experience many people don’t get to have.”