YWCA Minneapolis Statement on the Overturn of Roe v. Wade
Today, the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively ending recognition of a fundamental, constitutional right to abortion and giving individual states the power to allow, limit or ban the practice altogether.
This generation could be the nation’s first in almost 50 years to come of age without the constitutional right to abortion care, having devastating consequences for women and their families. The empowerment of women necessitates their agency over their bodies and lives, and the protection of their status as free and equal citizens. Armed with the knowledge that the right to determine their reproductive future was protected by Roe, young women have been able to invest in their education, training, vocations and careers.
We cannot turn back the clock to a time that no young woman in America today has ever known, nor should ever know. We must secure a woman’s right to choose and protect their reproductive freedom.
YWCA Minneapolis continues to stand with YWCAs across the country, community members and supporters to advocate for strong action for legal protection and safe access to reproductive care for women. The ability to choose when, and if, to have a child is a profound choice with lasting consequences that every person should be able to make for themselves. And because of its intersection with gender, race, class and many other social identities, supporting abortion access is critical to our mission of eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
Here’s how you can make your voice heard:
- Join UnRestrict Minnesota coalition partners today, June 24, at 5:30 pm for a vigil as we grieve and process this monumental reversal of our rights and what this will mean.
- Attend Keep Abortion Legal! Emergency Protest, happening at 6:00 pm today.
- Donate to Our Justice, to directly support abortion access in Minnesota.
- Tell Your Member of Congress to pass the Women’s Health Protection Act: Today’s decision clearly signals why we must protect providers offering abortion services and ensure abortions remain safe and accessible no matter your zip code.
- Local democracy is important and influential. Are you registered to vote? If not, sign up now!
- Learn the history of this issue.
- Listen to the stories of women and those who have experienced challenges to their health care access.
- Donate to abortion funds.
June 24, 2022